The Centre for International Studies at Iscte – Instituto Universitário de Lisboa, in partnership with OBSERVARE/UAL, is organising the seventh edition of the International Conference “Europe as a Global Actor”, on 11 and 12 May 2023.
ABOUT THE CONFERENCE
The seventh edition of the international conference “Europe as a Global Actor” will focus on discussing the EU’s current and envisioned role in the world (and Africa, Asia, Middle East, and Latin America, in particular) in the context of internal challenges of populism, East-West and North-South divides, and external challenges of Russia, China, and Turkey’s growing assertiveness, with a focus on shared neighbourhoods.
We aim to debate the EU’s capacity to act, its physical and ontological security, and its resilience in the context of the Russo-Ukrainian war and the adoption of the EU’s Strategic Compass. Furthermore, we are interested in addressing how the EU has and can respond to key threats to its security, maintain internal cohesion, and act as a leader in tackling the global climate crisis.
The Conference Programme includes thematic panels, round tables with keynote speakers, as well as plenary sessions. In addition to the presence of several invited scholars and practitioners, the programme also includes the presentation of papers by international researchers and practitioners. The conference will take place in-person only. The authors of selected contributions will have the opportunity of publishing them in a peer-reviewed publication should conditions allow for it.
We welcome papers covering the theme of the conference “Europe as a global actor”, namely within these topics:
- The EU’s capacity to act
- The EU’s role in crises and development
- The EU’s promotion of Human Rights and gender equality
- The EU’s role in the fight against climate change
- The EU’s relations with organisations and mechanisms of global and regional governance
- The re-configuration of Transatlantic and EU-NATO relations
- The EU’s relations with other prominent actors
- Key threats to the EU’s security
- The EU’s foreign policy and economic stability nexus
- The EU’s enlargement
- Digitalization, disinformation, and media literacy (with the suport of CEI-Iscte project MEDIACTION https://mediactionproject.com/)
The accepted abstracts must be presented in English.
Fee for presenting participants: €30
THE CALL HAS BEEN EXTENDED UNTIL 31 JANUARY 2023.
Notification of acceptance will be communicated until 10 February 2023.